Magnolia Bakery‘s Banana Pudding is like heaven on earth. Not too sweet, soft, simple and fresh. Layers of vanilla wafers, fresh bananas and creamy vanilla pudding… Although this tiny bakery in New York City’s West Village is famous for its cupcakes, I’d still recommend to go for the pudding. You can either get it in a small/large box to go with a plastic spoon if you’re just passing by; or if you order in advance, you can get it in a single/double bowl that might serve up to 20 people. (Magnolia Bakery @ 401 Bleecker Street, New York)
In Istanbul, the closest you can get is at Happily Every After (Cevdet Paşa cd. No:24/A, Bebek), served in a similar small cup.
If you’d like to give it a try yourself – below is the pudding’s recipe from Magnolia Bakery’s Cookbook.
– 1 (14-ounce; approx 415 ml) can sweetened condensed milk
– 1 1/2 cups ice cold water
– 1 (3.4-ounce; approx 1l) package instant vanilla pudding mix (get the Jell-O brand if you can)
– 3 cups heavy cream
– 1 (12-ounce; approx 350 ml) box Nabisco Nilla Wafers (no substitutions!)
– 4 cups sliced ripe bananas
1. In a small bowl, on the medium speed of an electric mixer, beat together the sweetened condensed milk and water until both well combined for about 1 minute. Add the pudding mix and beat well, about 2 minutes more. Cover and refrigerate for 3-4 hours or overnight, before continuing.
2. In a large bowl, on the medium speed of an electric mixer, whip the heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Gently fold the pudding mixture into the whipped cream until well blended and no streaks of pudding remain.
3. To assemble the dessert, select a large, wide bowl with a 4-5-quart capacity. Arrange one-third of the wafers to cover the bottom of the bowl, overlapping if necessary, then one-third of the bananas and one-third of the pudding. Repeat the layer twice more. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and allow to chill in the refrigerator for 4 hours (or a max of 8 hours but no longer) before serving.
P.S. There’s only 4 days left til Valentine’s Day. If you’re still looking for something, check Magnolia’s Valentines Menu. Who knows.. you might like to get a Valentine’s Day Love Note Box.